- Iowa simply was not good enough for Ohio State. And the faster you come to that conclusion, the better you'll feel about the game. Iowa didn't play a perfect game (Tate was mad at himself, but he had no protection all day), but they didn't play a particularly poor game. The first time Antonio Pittman went off tackle, you could hear an audible gasp from the crowd. They were too fast, too athletic, and, quite frankly, too perfect. Nobody - I repeat, Big Blue, NOBODY - is beating this team.
Just give him the Heisman. It's not even close.
- I've been to pretty much every game played at Kinnick Stadium in the last seven years, and I have never seen or felt it like it was on Saturday night. The atmosphere was positively electric. On Gameday that morning, Herbstreit said that the only way Iowa had a chance was if the crowd could impose its will on the game. Trust me, they tried. And that made tOSU's win even more impressive. No false starts. Two delay of games. By my count, only three penalties in the game (including a phantom pass interference). And an absolute stomach-punch touchdown at the end of the first half, followed by a groin-kick touchdown at the beginning of the third that effectively ended it. I couldn't have been more impressed with tOSU.
- Kudos to the Hawkeye fans (an estimated 6000 of them) who made it to Gameday, despite the school's best efforts. I'll give the administration this: The set looked dignificantly better that I thought it would, framed by the Old Capitol. It could have been better close to the stadium (especially because the people parking at Kinnick were the last ones to show up; the lot was mostly empty when I got there at about noon), but it looked pretty good. Nice work, students. Extra kudos for some hilarious signs.
- I still can't believe Corso put on Herky's head. It was incredible at the time, but the kiss of death in retrospect.
- Purdue is going to be VERY interesting. Homecoming should help keep the crowd in it.
I'll be back later to talk Yankee baseball and some big-time new music out today.