Sunday, September 17, 2006

What State are We In, Again?

Congratulations to the Iowa Hawkeyes, the best team in the state.

Good news from yesterday: Iowa won. They came from 11 points back to win by 10. They could have quit at least twice, but they held on and came back. Andy Brodell learned how to catch this week and has turned into a pretty good punt returner. Drew Tate was positively Brett Favre-esque. Marshall Yanda had the best block since Bob Gallery graduated (and I heard the kid he hit is going to be OK). When the book is written on the 2006 Iowa Hawkeyes, Andy Brodell's touchdown at the end of the first half will be the turning point. Klinkenborg made Captain Kirk cry on national television. And someone finally told the Iowa State band to shut the hell up (it was me, actually).

Bad news: This team still isn't even close to ready for tOSU, and there's only two weeks left to get ready. Fortunately, next week's game is at Champaign, where the team is coached by a man who has yet to ever watch a football game.

Also, it's been deteriorating for a while, but the combination of the new ticket allocation practices, the student section move, the University's systematic war on tailgating, and the stadium "security" measures, has absolutely destroyed the atmosphere in Kinnick. It isn't close to what it used to be (and I'm talking 5 years ago). Instead of having the most rabid and devoted fans in the best seats, we have old farts listening to the radio broadcasts and golf clapping. Barta needs to fix this to make up for last week's idiotic decision to keep The Game in September.

Classless move of the game: The Iowa State band playing their fight song (I think it's that song from "Benny Hill") over the top of "In Heaven There is no Beer" after the game had ended. Your team lost on the road. You shouldn't even be in the stadium, let alone trying to trample on the home team's victory by playing your obnoxious music. Load up the tractor and go home.

Classless move of the game (part 2): I haven't heard anything from Todd Blythe yet, but I'm just assuming it was classless.

Not-so-classless move of the game: Dan McCartney's postgame news conference, where he didn't take any credit away from Iowa. I give him a hard time because he's the coach of the Clones and is borderline obsessed with beating Iowa, but he's generally a pretty class act.

I was going to blog about the National Football League* today, but I came home to find that my television finally died. Fortunately, I bought a new 50" flat screen HDTV Thursday. Unfortunately, it won't be in until Tuesday. That means I'll be watching on a 14" Samsung this afternoon. I'll probably have a post after the first round of games, but for the time being, my plays this week were Indy/Houston under 47, Seattle/Arizona under 47, Saints -2, Skins +6 (before Portis went down; not so big on that pick now), and Vikes +1. I have yet to look at any scores, so I don't know how I'm doing so far.

4 comments:

Kevin Brown said...

Classless move of the game #3: ESPN deciding to interview Klink after the game.

ESPN Producer- "Cue up the sideline reporter...lets see if we can get this kid to break down camera."

Sideline reporter-
"Even though you won the game, your dad is still dead...so that must suck, huh?"

Idiots at ESPN. I can't stand that network.

Kevin Brown said...

Classless move of the game #3: ESPN deciding to interview Klink after the game.

ESPN Producer- "Cue up the sideline reporter...lets see if we can get this kid to break down on camera."

Sideline reporter-
"Even though you won the game, your dad is still dead...so that must suck, huh?"

Idiots at ESPN. I can't stand that network.

Kevin Brown said...

I also assume we are talking about Drew Tate resembling Brett Favre pre- "There's Something About Mary".... not the current version of the non-retired, "I think we have a Super Bowl contender here at Green Bay" Brett Favre.

HawkeyeState said...

Yes, we're talking old school, "I don't care if we're down by 17 on the road against Dallas, I'm winning this goddamn game" Brett Favre. You know, the one that every ESPN commentator seems to think is still playing.